A is for Alphabet Soup

A is for 

The letter A on a piece of paper with handwritten words, starting with A

family dance party listening to Alabama's "I'm in a Hurry" or Mulatu Astatke (fill in the blank for whatever "A" music you like, maybe next time it'll be Laurie Anderson?)

image of vinyl record of mulatu astatke

And, well, art 

tabletop with watercolor paints and kid hands

kids on the floor making art with paints on a splotched cloth

and alphabet soup.

alphabet soup with carrots and celery and the word "soup" in noodles on the spoon

I had the kids peel the carrots into the sink, I chopped the veggies, and my daughter loves stirring pots, and adding whatever she can. I love that Nigella Lawson encouraged her kids in the kitchen at very young ages, so I'm trying to follow suit. 

child adding ingredient to pot of soup on the stove 
 
kid painting, on the left side is finger painting, on the right is  pink car

In addition to anything I might actually accomplish for one round with that letter, I've been keeping a running list of options for the next time.  And I will say, though it's easy to just look things up on computers because they're very readily available, it's been glorious to pull out a giant 3-pound dictionary for an old-fashioned search. I highly recommend one. My kids love it.

Abstraction 

Action painting 

Alphabet 

Astronomy

Archaeology 

Arithmetic 

Art

Asteroid 

Amateur 

Arctic

Adventure

Analyze 

Amoeba 

Aardvark 

Animals 

Armature 

Architect 

Alphabet soup for lunch 

Telescope for astronomy



Comments