i is for the little island

 I is for igloo and ice cream

For our "I" adventure, we took a trip out to Sauvie Island, about 30 minutes from our house, with a picnic.  One of my first television memories is of the Davey and Goliath episode where they are stranded on an island. I love the stop-motion animation, and it has so much memorable foley work. It absolutely takes me back to my childhood.

It happened to be the season for these fuzzy woolly bear caterpillars to be out, and we spotted them crossing the road a few times, stopped, and gave them a little assistance to avoid other cars.

One of my favorite children's books is The Little Island by Golden MacDonald (Margaret Wise Brown) and illustrated by Leonard Weisgard. It has such a perfect pattern and stillness to the language. 

I was blessed to find a first edition for a quarter at a rummage sale while I was pregnant with my son, I had no idea what the book was at the time, but the illustrations blew me away. 

 Reflecting on these images now, I'm so glad to have taken the opportunity during our quarantine to explore the places nearest to us. 

 As everything opens back up, it feels miles away to be able to do some of these activities, making that time quite bittersweet.

Somewhere in our research we found the idea of putting out a length of string in a yard for a few seasons and keeping watch over everything within the parameters of that space, observing change. We brought the idea to the island. It can feel a bit daunting to figure out where to start in such lush surroundings, and limiting the space can reveal a world in a few square feet. 


We tried the grass, the sand...

I is for inch worm

Investing in, and nurturing natural curiosity at a young age


 Inspecting

Identifying

More insects

And if simplicity is the order of the day: Irish Soda Bread with Paul Hollywood we added rosemary from the garden and cheddar cheese


Ice cream treat
Icing

Igloo
Inch worm
Inspect (microscope, telescope, magnifying glass)
Insect
Imitation game
Italian food
Irish food
Indian food
Israeli food
Iranian food
Iraqi food

Iowa
Idaho (potatoes)—French fries
Iodized salt (salt dough?)
Indian black salt


Iman
Indigo
Iggy pop

Inca berries
Intense
Intimate
Initiate
Idea
Ink
Immediate
Immense
Icon
Idol
Illuminate
Imagination
Immortal
Immune
Important
Improvement
Include
Incredible
Indestructible
Indulge
Individual
Infinite
Inspire
Instant
Instructor
Interesting
Increase












Comments